Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Bearing Fruit

When I was a young Christian, I worked hard at "bearing fruit" as I had read the passages saying, "The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire" (Matt 3:10; Lk 3:9).  And I believed, based on what I read and was taught at the time, that bearing fruit was converting others to Christianity.

So, I had to be out knocking doors, confronting people with the Word, convincing them of what I believed and getting them to accept Christ in baptism.  If I accomplished that act and continued to accomplish that act, I was bearing fruit, otherwise I was destined to be cut down and thrown into the fires of hell.

Problem: Where is grace in all that?  And, does my salvation really depend on the decision of others to embrace my faith and convert to Christianity?  Really?  To be saved I have to be able to change others?  In other words, I have to earn my salvation by producing replicas of myself (bearing fruit)?

No!  For two reasons: 1.  "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works..." (Eph 2:8-9).  2. Fruit bearing is not something done external of the tree, it is something that is done coming from within and as a part of the tree itself.  Listen to the words of Paul: "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" (Gal 5:22-23).

Fruit bearing is being is reproducing the seed-bearing aspects of the tree.  When that it done and that seed falls into fertile ground, it will take root and grow.  But the fruit bearing is separate and apart from the growth of another plant.  I believe that will happen as we live out a Spirit-filled life but producing another Christian is not the point, being changed by the presence of the Spirit, by grace is the point.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment