Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Why Me?

Recently I sat in a three-person meeting with the Director of the Arkansas Veterans Administration.  Today I am flying to Washington D.C. to attend a a seminar on Veteran Community Partnerships, paid for by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.  Friday I will be representing Arkansas Hospice at the Governor's Proclamation on Hospice and Palliative Care.  I was even asked to write an article for the magazine, Inviting Arkansas, regarding Arkansas Hospice's, Level Four, "We Honor Vets" program.

So, why me?  Who am I to be allowed, much less invited, to be an integral part of something so important as setting the standard of treatment for our veterans who are facing terminal illness?  Aren't there more qualified, more connected, better educated individuals?  No doubt.  So, why me?  I don't know.

I know how my journey into this hub of activity began and the steps along the way that brought me to where I am, but I surely don't know why God allowed it to be me.  I just know that He did.  For reasons that are His alone, God presented me with the opportunity to be a part of something terribly important.  I'm not rich or powerful or particularly important, but I am a part of something that is invaluable and game changing and very important.  Why?  It doesn't matter.

Truly.  Why me is of no concern.  That I have been chosen to serve and that I do faithfully serve is very important.  Whether I feel I am the best for the job or even up to the job is not relevant.  What is relevant is that God has called me to the work at this time, and that I am faithful in honoring Him by serving a segment of our population that deserves our respect and needs our support.

The Lord doesn't necessarily call the equipped, but he will always equip the called.  If you look at the called from Moses to Peter, the common thread was their difficulty in accepting the fact that they should be called.  They were right in thinking they did not deserve it but wrong to think that God didn't know what he was doing.

The proper attitude to take is that of Isaiah, who believing, "...I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lip..." (Isa 1:5), nonetheless opened his heart to the Lord saying, "Here I am, send me: (v. 8).  Here I am, such as I am, willing to go and do what you call and send me to do.

Do turn away from an opportunity to do something God honoring just because you don't think you are the best qualified or that you are qualified at all.  Stand up, step up and serve to your best ability, allowing God to equip you and supply what you may be lacking.  When God calls, don't get bogged down wondering "Why me?"  Even if you don't have Nike shoes, "Just Do It!"  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment