Monday, February 22, 2016

Time on The Run

This morning is one of those mornings where my brain just wasn't ready to engage right away.  I had trouble focusing in prayer, my readings seemed disjointed and when I was ready to write, I wasn't really ready.  I sat here, looking at a blank page, thinking, "I've got to start writing, I'm running out of time."

Two things: 1) I don't really have to write, it's a choice I make and 2) I wasn't running out of time, time was running out on me.  I wasn't running at all.  I wasn't even crawling.  I wasn't the one moving, it was time.  Time was running out on me.

Time simply doesn't stop for anyone.  Regardless of what we do or don't do, time keeps on moving.  Whether you get to whatever it is you have in mind or not, time doesn't wait.  I remember talking with a preacher about 30 years ago who was in his fifties and was lamenting that he hadn't finished his graduate degree (he only finished 9 hours).  He found the amount of time it would take to finish going part time to be a bit overwhelming.  However, the time it would have taken had marched on without him.

It took me 15 years from the time I started higher education until I completed a Doctor of Ministry.  That was a long time but that 15 years came and went 20 years ago.  Whether I had finished the degree plan or not, time was going to keep on moving.  Time is not something we get through or run out of, time is the stuff of which life is made.  And life keeps moving forward regardless of our efforts until life or time runs out.

Jesus warns of this very truth in saying, "As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work" (Jn 9:4).  Time is on the move, it will not wait on us, we must move with it.  How much time will elapse before it runs out on us entirely, only God can tell.  But we can be sure that it will run out.  Don't allow yourself to be lamenting one day, "I wish I had (fill in the blank) before time ran out on me."  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment