Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Too Much

I was talking with a surviving veteran widow yesterday morning, who was asking me what she could do about the fact that Social Security was going to take back some money that was apparently overpaid for a few months and the VA had informed her there would be a change in how they paid her.  She wanted to know what she could do to mitigate the combined assault on her meager income.

I went over her income and allowable deductions and tried to anticipate what the VA would or would not do, but there was simply nothing I could see that she could do to preempt what was about to happen.  She finally said to me, "If they take the full amount out or the VA change is against me, I just don't know what I'll do."

What do you do about something that is out of or beyond your control?  What do you do when nothing within your power is powerful enough to effect the change you want or hope or need to see?  You stop trying to "lasso the moon."  When something is beyond your reach, it's time to stop reaching for it and turn to one who can.

I was in Sam's the other day and a very short woman turned to a very tall man and asked, "Would you hand me that box?"  The box was a good foot or more beyond this little old lady's reach and she wasn't wearing any Nikes, reaching or jumping was simply not going to happen.  She made a better choice than just continuing to stretch or hop, she put it into the hands of someone who could reach it.

When Jesus shared the parable comparing a rich man entering the kingdom and a camel passing through the eye of a needle, his followers asked, "Who then can be saved?” Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God" (Lk 18:26-27).

The answer becomes clear: While it is impossible for you and I to attain the unattainable, it is not for God and therefore we must stop reaching for the unreadable and turn to God, who is always within reach.  As Jesus promised, "Come unto me, all who are heavy burdened [pressed beyond your ability] and I will give you rest [provide the help that gives you relief], take my yoke upon you [let me provide the extra pull that is simply too much]...you will find rest for your souls [I will help you do what you cannot do]" (Matt 11:28-30).

When you've done all you can do, gone as far as you can go, reached the limit of your ability, it's time to turn it over to God who can bless your effort and provide the additional help or strength or resource to accomplish the good He would have in your life.  Jus' Say'n.


No comments:

Post a Comment