Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Divine Value

I really do try to see the best in others.  By nature, I give people the benefit of the doubt.  But sometimes people remove all doubt, causing me to think, "Wow!  What a waste of DNA, this person is a complete idiot" or "Good grief!  What a blowhard, I wouldn't believe this person if they told me they had two parents."

I especially have a hard time respecting or believing politicians.  I tend to agree with Will Rogers, who once quipped, "No man is safe when congress is in session."  By the way, did you know that a group of baboons is referred to as a congress?  Yeah, I know.  The baboons are shocked too.  They feel denegrated by the comparison.

But I digress.  I don't want you to think that I am proud of the fact I sometimes write people off mentally because it is not a right that I have.  The fact that some appear to be of little or no value is not a judgment God has placed in my hands, value placing is his alone.

I may have some doubts about how valuable or how trustworthy someone is and that may cause me to proceed with caution in any relationship with them.  And one may prove not to be trustworthy or not to be considered good counsel.  But value or intrinsic worth is a divine matter.  As Paul declares, "why do you judge your brother or sister ? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat" (Rom 14:10).

Use discernment before trusting important matters with anyone.  Choose confidants wisely.  But regard everyone as a child of God, whose value is assigned by Him alone.  Understand that God loves them and we ought to love them as well - even if we don't like what they do.  God will weigh them in the balance, even as he will weigh you and me.  Jus' Sayn.

No comments:

Post a Comment