Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Detours

When I enlisted into the Air Force in 1974, I made a 6 year commitment.  My intention was to be career military.  I liked the military, I enjoyed my work, excelled in my career path.  I was certain I would retire from the USAF.  I was wrong.

I did not see the detour God placed up ahead.  The detour I took one morning when I felt an unbending desire to go to church, which led me to invlovement in lay ministry that set my course firmly on preaching ministry - a path, although unseen until then, I gladly took, leaving my military aspiration behind.  Everyone, not the least me, was more than a little surprised.

When I entered the ministry, I found I loved Bible study, preaching and sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others.  It became clear to me that I was given a gift of communicating biblical truths in a way that resonated well with people of all stripes.  I saw my path clearly as preaching until retirement and then preaching some more in retirement just for the love of preaching and the opportunity to help churches that otherwise might not be able to afford a qualified minister.  I was wrong.

I did not see the detour that God had placed in the road ahead.  My preaching ministry ended rather abruptly and after a short period of wandering in the wilderness, I was directed on the parh of chaplaincy within the hospice community.  I daily minister to individuals who are dying and families who are hurting.  I love what I do, I seem to have a gift of touching lives with the healing grace of the Spirit, I see myself working within the hospice community well past the retirement age - but, I am keeping my eyes open for divine detours.  God may have yet another road or two for me to travel, there may be other Kingdom work to be done before my day is ended.

Interestingly enough, I use my preaching gift on a regular basis as I  speak to various groups about Arkansas Hospice's We Honor Vets program.  So, God has folded my military and my preaching ministry into my current ministry.  Where I am now in life was not my plan, it was God's.  But God is always right and always good.  And, His will trumphs my will always.  As Solomon wrote, "Many are the plans in a person's heart but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails" (Pr 19:21).

Who knows the detours God has for your life.  They may come at times that will shock you and in ways that will scare you.  But God is always right and good.  Embrace the change in your path, let go and let God.  Trust in Him to lead you in paths of life: "I know the plans [detours] I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (Jer 29:11).  Jus' Sayn.

No comments:

Post a Comment