Sunday, April 26, 2015

Lights

Jesus said,  “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven" (Matt 5:14-16).

As Christians, we are to be lights in a world of darkness, illuminating the path of righteousness, removing the cover of darkness from sin and becoming a beacon to a lost world.  We are to be that light that serves to draw others to Christ.  And being a light is not a loathsome task, it is a position of honor allowing us to be an instrument of peace.  And yet, many shy away from being light.  Why?

The reason?  Before the light comes the burn.  The lamp on the stand shines brightly and provides light to all that come near, but that light, the thing that draws others and provides such a blessing does not come without the burn of the wick.  Light only comes after the burn.  It is that burn part that keep people from being a light.

If I am to shine a light on the path to resiting temptation, I must first resist the temptation, which means denying myself what I might desire greatly.  If I am to illuminate the way to overcome hardship, I must first endure hardship.  If I am to cast away the shadows of fear, I must courageously face my own.  If I am to be a lamp unto the feet of someone who must face the bitter night of the soul, I must be willing to step into that darkness with him.

We cannot be lights to the world if we hide under a bowl of safety.  Neither can we be lights if we shrink away from the darkness.  Nor can we burn brightly, showing others the way out of darkness if we do not allow ourselves to feel the burn that produces the light.

Lights cannot be those who would say "do as I say, not as I do."  Lights must accept life's challenges and embrace the pain of suffering as an vital part of being a shining example, illuminating the way for others to come through their suffering, face their fears and overcome temptation.  As Christians, we are to light the path to Christ, but to do that we must be walking on that path.  "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" (1 Cor 11:1).

The bottom line is that lights are models of the faith and behavior others are to emulate: "Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do" (Phil 3:17).  I've often thought of the caption on the tee-shirts we wore the first time I went on a mission trip to Honduras: Take the Gospel everywhere.  Speak when necessary."  Light-bearing is not about as much about telling as it is being. It isn't say the light or do the light, it is be the light.   Jus' Say'n.




No comments:

Post a Comment