Monday, April 27, 2015

The Prayer of Jabez

In 2000, Bruce Wilkinson's book, The Prayer of Jabez, based on 1 Chronicles 4:10, became a best seller.  Not only did the book take off, there were take offs in sermons, seminars and series of classes.  It is fair to say that it took the Christian Community by storm.

I was a little slow to join the band wagon as the prayer seemed to be so self-centered.  It seemed as those Jabez had but one over-arching thought in his prayer: Jabez.  This morning, my chronological Bible reading brought me to this prayer again.  15 years after I first gave it consideration, it still has the same first blush: "Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, 'Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain'" (1 Chron 4:10).  Notice the me, my and I nature of the prayer?

Nonetheless, in 2000, I came to the conclusion that this was a valid and valuable prayer.  I was persuaded, not by the fanfare or even the argument put forth by Wilkinson, I was persuaded by two brief statements in the text surrounding the prayer: 1) "Jabez was more honorable than his brothers" (4:9) and 2) "God granted his request" (4:10b).  The Holy Spirit reveals Jabez to be honorable and his prayer worthy of yes.  How could I conclude anything other than it is a righteous prayer, worthy of my embrace and imitation?

But what in it makes it worthy of the Lord's stamp of approval?  I believe it to be what I choose to call "The Little Child Factor."  Do you remember what Jesus said about little children in Matthew 18:3-4?  "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  That lowly position is one of total dependency.  A small child has no problem asking his/her parent for everything because he/she knows everything come from the parent.  Small children ask with abandon and trust ferociously.

Jabez wasn't so much selfish as he was confident in God's ability and trusting in His willingness to do what Jabez himself could not do.  Jabez freely accepted the truth that he was not the captain of his own destiny but that God was Ruler of all.  This is my take-away from the prayer of Jabez - that we are more honorable when we come to God in total dependency and trust; and God is more than willing to grant our righteous and humble requests.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment