Saturday, June 20, 2015

Right or Left

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it" (Isa 30:21).  OK, it's Scripture so I believe it.  But how does it work that whether I chose the path to the right or the path to the left I will be going the right direction?''

Doesn't Jesus plainly say“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Mt 7:13-14)?

How can there be two path, one leading to life and one leading to death, and yet we can choose either way, neither being wrong?  When I leave from Benton to Hot Springs, I have to turn west on I-30.  If I turn east, I will arrive in Little Rock.  Turning left or turning right result in completely different outcomes.  How can both be OK?

The two cannot be right if one of them is wrong.  If I choose the path of death, I will enter the realm of death.  If I choose the path of life, I will enter the realm of life.  Isaiah is not debunking this truth, he is affirming that those  who have a spirit of repentance will be making choices that are God honoring, and that trusting in God, we will have direction in life.  

If God's ways are my desire, he will lead me in his way and give me what I desire: "Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart" (Ps 37:4).  Going back to Isaiah 30, listen to what he says in verse 19, "How gracious he will be when you cry for help."  When Israel repented, turning to God, he heard them and marked the way the way home.  They would not have to find their way, God would direct their steps.  They could rest easy knowing that each step of the way, right or left, was under God's direction and way part of the journey home.

What we are talking about here is a precursor of grace, that we do not have to find our own way or earn our redemption.  God has paid the price, he has prepared the road.  We need only walk in the way he directs.  All the barriers are down, the detours are removed, the way clearly marked by the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment