Friday, June 5, 2015

Self

Several years back, a young man my daughter was dating at the time said, "Your dad thinks he's always right."  When his angst was shared with me, my response was, "Of course I do!  If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my thinking."  I know that I can be wrong but I don't go around thinking I'm wrong.  It requires someone or something to point out my error before I admit to it.  And, just because someone says I'm wrong doesn't mean I will necessarily accept their assessment.  I may say uncle but you probably should bring your lunch if you intend to change my mind.

I don't believe having confidence in yourself is a bad thing.  It tends to be confident people who get things started, get things done and help others along the way.  However, over confidence in self is a real problem.  It stretches you beyond your grasp, it carries you into places you are ill-equipped to operate, it puts you and others at risk.  In my over-confident youth, I once dove off a ledge with a shoulder injury and sunk to the bottom like a rock.  I could have drowned and those who dove in after me were put at risk as well.

The apostle Paul warns, "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment" (Rom 12:3).  He is not suggesting that we degrade ourselves or underrate our God-given abilities, but that we accurately assess them and humbly approach life knowing that, as talented and skilled as we may be, we are not equipped for every circumstance.  Sometimes, even the very best among us need to accept help or disaster follows.  The wisdom Literature of the Bible reveals, "Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice" (Pr 13:10).

God can do "more than I can ask or imagine according to his power at work within me" (Eph 3:20), however, he may not choose me to accomplish a particular task, for when it comes to particular gifts and works, the Spirit "distributes them to each one, just as he determines" (1 Cor 12:11).  A good leader will understand this and delegate rather than micro-manage.  I remember hearing Dale Galloway (mega-church pastor on the West Coast) say, "If I can find someone who can do something even 80% as well as I can, I give them the job."  The growth his church experienced was in large part because he realized his limitations and gave things over to others who could make it a focus.

Having a strong self-image is not necessarily a bad thing, but having an accurate self-image is always a good thing.  Have a positive view of self but let humility temper your image so that you can admit your weaker areas and seek advice and/or help from others.  And, moreover, so that you can give God the glory for endowing you and blessing you with all that you have and can do.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment