Friday, July 24, 2015

Circumstantial Faith

I was talking to a particular elderly woman, living in a nursing home, the other day.  We were chatting about first one thing and then another, and then nothing in particular.  It seemed obvious that she was trying hard not to talk about what was really on her mind.  So, I just asked her, "Is there something on your mind?"

She stumbled a bit at first and then she blurted out, "Everything has gone wrong and my prayers don't do any good!"  She went on saying that her health had failed, her husband had left her and her step-daughter was getting control of and taking all of her possessions.  She said that she prayed to God but he wasn't answering her prayers.

This woman was experiencing a crisis of faith.  A crisis that was precipitated by a radical change in circumstance, which gave rise to a growing doubt of God's goodness, his power, his presence.  Her circumstances had been ravaged and, in the process, her faith had been ransacked.  Her faith began to collapse as the foundation of her faith, her circumstances, began to crumble.

She is not alone and this phenomenon is not new.  From ancient times, people have believed in God's presence when their present circumstances were favorable and began to doubt when their circumstances began to spiral downward.  This theology maintains that if God is good and powerful, and I am in his graces, he will hear my prayers and good things will come my way.

This is the cry of Psalm 22:1, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?"  But is this the truth of God's presence?  Is God only God, is God only good, is God only God when circumstances are favorable?

Listen to what Paul had to say on this subject: "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength? (Phil 4:12-13).  Did you noticed what changed and what stayed the same?

Paul said that his circumstance (situation) changed from good to bad or vice-verse but his attitude did not because the source of his faith, "him who gives me strength," never changed.  Paul's faith was not fonded on circumstance but on Christ.  He knew Christ was with him and that the victory was already won regardless of how the battle was going in the moment.

Here's what Paul knew to be true, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who i have been called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28).  Not every thing or every moment is good in the Christian's earthly journey.  But, everything is used to bring about our ultimate good.  A faith founded on God's goodness instead of our good fortune allows us to be joyful and content, even when our circumstances would insist otherwise.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment