Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Roadblocks

Yesterday I was scheduled to speak at a Disabled American Veterans Post in a town more than an hour away from where the last of five patients I would be seeing across a fifty-mile corridor.  The heavy rains and thunderstorms that made traffic slow to a crawl prevented me from getting to the office early and being Monday, there was a lot to deal with before I could get into the field.

One of the new patients I saw yesterday lived on a gravel road that looked like a driveway and the street sign had been knocked down to a point I did not notice it passing by and when I finally discovered where it was, heading down it I found it split off in three directions (I, of course, chose the wrong one at first).

My next house was in a rural area where no one seemed to have heard of house numbers, causing me to pass by the home a couple of time before being able to deduce which one was my destination.  The final house was down a gravel road that led to another gravel road, which led to another gravel road before coming to long drive with no markings.

Despite all the challenges, I was left with 1 1/2 hours to travel a 1 1/4 hour journey to my speaking appointment.  I was making good time as the rains had slowed up and the traffic was light - until, of course, I saw the tire warning light come on.  Pulling over I saw that my back left tire was going flat. I was able to use the pump and tire-flat fix that came with the car and get on my way to a place my GPS would take me that was not where the DAV was located and my smart phone was not smart enough to find a listing for it.  By the way, the phone number I though I put in my wallet - not.

There I was, completely depleted of time and resources to get to my destination.  But then there was God.  I simply prayed for his help and began driving toward home believing that He would get me there if it were his will.  My phone rang and it was the DAV commander asking if I were OK, who gave me directions that included "Keep driving the way your heading, it is about five miles on down that road."

Sound familiar?  Not just being lost and having one setback after another but facing life's challenges and coming upon one roadblock after another.  When you are at your wit's end, time running out and no answer in sight - have you not found God to be there when you call?

Although God does not always answer in the way you might have imagined, he does answer.  Have you not found it to be true that when you turn to God in faith and wait upon his timing that you can "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you" (Matt 7:7)?  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment