Thursday, July 14, 2016

Gates

As a child, I remember my mother taking great comfort in the words of Jesus, "on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it" (Matt 16:18).  I can still see her telling us kids that no matter how hard Satan tries, he will never be able to destroy the church, that there always would be a righteous remnant.

I can see why that would be of comfort and I agree with the premise that Satan lacks the power to destroy the church of God, but I have to say that my mom, as Gospel savvy as she was, did not truly understand the meaning of that passage.  While the passage does talk about the combative relationship of the Church and Satan, and his lack of power in relation to the church, his role, in this passage, is defensive not offensive.

So what am I saying?  Specifically, "Gates" do not attack, they defend.  The gates of Hades or Hell as some versions put it, are Satan's defense against the attack of the Church, not the other way around.  The Gates of Hell, the stronghold behind which Satan ensnares mankind, are not sufficient to withstand the onslaught of The Lord's Army when we in the Church marshall ourselves, empowered by the Spirit of God, against them.

People all around us and all around the world, some we know and love, and some we have yet to make their acquaintance, are being entrapped by Satan's schemes and in his snares.  They are being held behind the gates, hopeless and helpless until Christians share their faith and he power of the Gospel to set them free.  And set them free we can, because the Gates of Hell cannot prevail against the Children of God on the move.

Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we are directed, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matt 28:19-20).  In so doing, we assail the Gates of Hell, setting the captives free.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment