Tuesday, July 12, 2016

My Name Is Billy

In one of the nursing homes I visited yesterday, I visited my patient in the cafeteria.  As part of the visit, I sang an old hymn for her that was heard by others nearby.  Several of the older women stopped me and said how much thy appreciated the hymn.

One of the individuals nearby was not an elderly woman, it was a young man of 37 years.  He rolled up in his wheelchair and sat patiently as I talked to a group of women at a table.  As I turned and saw him, I stopped and looked him in the eyes.  He looked up at me and said, "My name is Billy ..., I have been a drunk and a crack addict for 17 years.  I've been in prison three times for a total of 14 years.  When I finally got out, they found a tumor on my brain.

I didn't say a work, I just stood there, looking him in his eyes and nodding my head in understanding as he went on speaking, halting and even holding his head to steady his thoughts.  He said, "I am here for ..."  Loosing his words, I offered for him "rehab."  "Yes," he replied.  "I have to get better so I can go home."

"I heard you singing that song...."  He paused again, trying to formulate the words.  "I know you are too busy now, but could you stop by and talk to me some time?"  I knelt beside him and said, "Can I pray for you right now?"  He nodded yes and took my hand.  Before I began to pray, I said to him, "Whatever your sin, the grace of Jesus is greater.  If you will accept him as your Lord and Savior, he will deliver you."

Although my time was very limited as I had to drive to another town, continuing my patient visits, I shared with him my faith in Christ and encouraged him to turn to Jesus for deliverance and then I prayed for him.  Although his thinking processes are limited by his drug abuse and brain tumors, he was able to understand how much he needed the Lord and believed God gave him a second chance through the tumor itself.

I couldn't change the consequences of his drug abuse or fix the damage caused by his tumor.  But, I could offer him a bit of my time, my attention and respond to his need to hear of God's grace.  As we talked, I noticed that his short-term memory was deeply impaired as he repeated statements and asked the same questions over again.  But, I knew this was a divine appointment that I had to keep, whether he remembered we ever met or not.

I plan to stop by again and talk to Billy.  He may not remember me and he may not have the same questioning  heart.  But I will make myself available to him and I hope that I can offer him further encouragement and once again share a bit of my faith with him in the goodness and graciousness of Jesus Christ my Lord.

As I write this final paragraph, two thoughts fill my head: 1) Jesus words, "Whatever you did for the least of these brothers or sisters of mine, you did for me" (Matt 25:40) and 2) My son, whose first name is William (Billy being a shortened form) is 37 as is Billy.  It occurs to me that I would hope someone would take the time for my Will when he may need someone to talk to.   Wouldn't you?  And, will you?  Will you take time for someone's Billy when the divine intersection in your life occurs next?  Jus' Ask'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment