Thursday, June 9, 2016

Buying Time

Commonly, the phrase "buying time" means to postpone and event in the hopes that things will improve.  It is generally seen as negative in that one putting off (or trying to) the inevitable instead of dealing with it head on.

But in the KJV of the Bible in Colossians 4:5, we read, "Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time."  The word "redeem" means to obtain or regain by purchase.  The idea is that time is a very valuable commodity and that we should not let it slip through our fingers but rather make the most of it, especially in regard to reaching out or ministering to others.

So often we think about doing something to help or encourage someone else but hesitate thinking we will get around to that on another day.  We keep putting off doing something, thinking we will have time later.  But will we?  Have you not ever put off something only to find that you no longer had an opportunity?

Years ago, I almost put off visiting a very old church member thinking, "I'm kind of tired right now, I can stop by later in the week."  However, he weighed on my heart and I went to see him instead of going home.  Alonzo Montgomery turned out to be one of the most interesting people I've ever engaged in conversation.  He had been on Amelia Arehart's ground crew.  He was a living-breathing piece of history.

Well, he was living and breathing.  The day after my visit with Alonzo, he passed on to glory.  Had I waited to spend time with him, I would have had to wait until we were both on the other side of time in eternity.  I am so glad that I redeemed that time, bought it by being available as the last person on earth to spend time listening to the life and times of Alonzo Montgomery.

I was enriched by the experience.  I can still see the toothless smile of a man grateful that someone wanted to spend the evening just talking with him.  Perhaps the very last words he said on this side of eternity was "thank you for coming by" to me as I finally headed home.

What time could you be buying right now, what opportunity that may never come again?  Who can you help, listen to, encourage or just spend time with today while there is still time?  Is there any time you can redeem today?  Jus' Ask'n.




No comments:

Post a Comment