Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Eye Opening

When I was in high school, I dreaded algebra class.  I didn't see any point in it and was certain I would never have any use for it.  I was wrong.  When I was working on my BA in Religious Studies, I had to take algebra as part of my core curriculum, so the fact that I had taken it in high school made a difference in completing my undergraduate degree.

Although, I still didn't see why I needed to take it or how it would be useful in my real life.  I was wrong still.  Part of the requirement for my MS in Biblical Studies was formal logic, which is very useful in the process of biblical interpretation and relies heavily on the principles of algebra.

Today, while I do not work through algebraic problems per se, I do use algebraic constructs to discover the hidden value often lying behind a passage of Scripture, point of history, biblical example or command of the Lord.

My devaluation of algebra was due to the fact that my eyes had yet to be open to its true value and possibilities of application.  I needed someone to open my eyes to the truth about algebra.  Knowing the value of X and Y can lead one to C (see).

There are many such eye opening needs in life such as the need for physical exercise, proper nutrition, adequate sleep, reduction of stress, the value of compound interest, etc.  But, hands down, the most important eye opening need: "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law" (Ps 11918).

God's principles and rules are not oppressive, they are life giving.  He does not seek to chain us down but to deliver us from bondage.  His words are not to hold us back but to give us wings.  When we follow the teachings of Jesus, which "...are summed up in this one command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself'" (Rom 13:9), life becomes rich with value, hope and promise.

We need to not only read the Bible but to be praying that God will open our eyes to his Truth so that we can experience the wonder and the blessings of living in he shadow of his Word.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment