Monday, December 2, 2013

No Time For God's Word

So often I hear people say, "I just don't have time to study the Bible."  I find that to be an interesting decision but hardly a fact of life as I have yet to meet the person whose discretionary time was zero. 

What I mean by that is we all have the same 24 hours each day, some of which is required for jobs, school, sleep, hygiene, etc., but we still have time left over for TV, Facebook, going out, hobbies or whatever.  Everyone I've met has had some time they can choose to do with as they please, it's just that it isn't pleasing enough to use it reading their Bible. Ouch!  But true.

Why it is so important that we are aware of this decision to pass on Bible study in favor of other things, is that only the Bible "is God- breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Tim 3:16-17).  If you pass on it, you pass on the most vital training and equipping possible. You will be lacking in the most important area of your life and ill-equipped for life itself. 

I don't know how much descretionary time you have available but I know you have some. I know you can and perhaps already do carve out some for study and reflection of the Bible. If you don't, today would be a good day to start. I do it early morning, you may find late evening is better. I read it sitting on my couch, you may find listening to a recording while commuting to work more doable. 

However you go about it, how much time and what time of the day is a matter of personal choice. I just encourage you to personally choose to use some of the time God has given you to study His word for you. 

Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment