Thursday, January 22, 2015

In Not Of

From 1964 to 1966, I lived in Germany.  My dad was in the Army Corps of Engineers and, like my mother and siblings, I was a military dependent living in a foreign land.  I enjoyed my time there.  I liked the food, especially the bread.  I went for hikes in the Black Forest, climbed around on an old castle nearby, learned how to operate a tobaggon and picked up enough of the language to make friends and get off the base where I met up with friends (US ARMY security notwithstanding, I would often slip in and out through a weak spot in the perimeter fence to avoid having to explain my coming and goings).

There was much that my family and I enjoyed about the people and the culture but there was one thing we were all very clear about, we were Americans living in a foreign land.  While we loved the Germans and had Gerrman friends, we were not German Nationals (I do have some German blood on my Father's side).  We were Americans and proud of it.  We maintained our traditions and looked forward, not to becoming one of or even like the Germans, but to going home one day.

As much as I enjoyed our time there, I always knew we were going home to America one day.  And, after a while, I started longing to go home.  I was in Germany but I was not of Germany.  Germany was a part of my journey but it was never home, nor could it be for me because I was and am an American.  We made a life but did not put down roots, we were never going to stay.

In a larger sense, I live in this world but I am not of this world.  I enjoy my life here,  I love my work, I look forward to riding my motorcycle when I can, I like spending time with friends, I have a wonderful wife and family, and I have ministry opportunities that I find very fulfilling.  However, I am not putting down roots here, I am in this world but I am not of this world.  My life here is a part of a journey, I will be going Home one day.  And, as I grow older I find myself beginning to long for home.

The writerr of the Book of Hebrews was very clear in saying that people of faith, children of God are foreigners and strangers on earth" (Heb 11:13).  And because that is so, we are not to invest our hearts here.  As Jesus reveals to us, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...But store up for yoursleves treasures in heaven....For where your treasure is, there your heart will  be also" (Matt 6:19-2).  Live in but do not be of this world.  Keep your sights on heaven.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment