Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Ah Ha Moment

I was speaking to a small group of men in a recovery house last night who are living on the streets, coming off drugs or coming out of prison.  A voice came out of the group of mean as I was speaking, it was an older man (by that I mean about my age) who simply said, "That was a good point!"

He had an "Ah ha" moment where he reached a bit of clarity in what had been a confusing maze of religious thought: "a successful journey to heaven is like following some one's tail lights."  Really?  Really!  Illustrating Jesus call to his disciples, "Come follow me" (Mt 4:19), I reminded them of the simple act of following someone home.  You don't have to know all the twists and turns, distance or even what the house looks like.  All you need to do is keep the tail lights in view and you will arrive wherever they wind up.

The "Ah ha" point was simply that we don't have to be experts in doctrine, theology or worship, what we have to be is followers of Christ - disciples.  Being well studied in biblical history, ancient languages, critical thought and so on, is very good but not necessary.  What is necessary is that we know who Jesus is, what he did, what he said and what his mission was.  As we come to know him through study of the Gospels, spending quiet time in prayerful reflection and seeing him live in fellow disciples, we are moving down the path he traveled.

Paul had a very clear understanding of this principle, which he shared with us in 1 Corinthians 11:1, "Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ."  Paul knew the way home was to follow the one who knew the way, Jesus.  And he also knew that those who followed him as he followed the One would also find the way home.  That is why we need Christian fellowship, to give us living examples and practical support as we seek to follow Jesus.

This may not be an ah ha moment for you, but maybe it is or should be.  If you think that by belonging to a certain denomination, attending a certain church, following certain doctrines, completing certain rituals, performing certain tasks; you will insure your arrival in heaven, you need an ah ha moment.  And, here it comes:

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Gal 2:20)

This is it!  That one thing we really need to understand and come to grips with.  We need to follow Christ, making him our life so that we are with him in our death.  Ah ha!  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment