Tuesday, September 22, 2015

What Do You Want?

I listened to a comedian the other day on the radio talk about the last dust up he and his wife had.  It began when he asked her what she would like for dinner to which she replied, "Oh, I don't care, just pick something."  So he said, "OK how about Mexican?"  She replied, "Oh no!  That gives me heart burn."  Each choice he brought up, she declined.  He said, "Why don't you just tell me what you want?"  She answered, "I don't care, just pick something."  And around and around they went until frustration gave way to anger and they just dropped the idea of eating out.

The problem wasn't an unwillingness to provide what was wanted, the problem was the uncertainty of what was desired and the inability to ask for what she wanted.  The fact that there were so many she did not want, clearly indicated that there was something she did want, but she was not forth coming in her request for one reason or another.

James says, "You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God" (Js 4:2).  He is speaking to people who get frustrated because they do not have what they want because they have not bothered to ask for it.  They are somehow expecting to receive what they want without asking.  Perhaps you've heard your spouse say or you've said, "Well, if I have to ask, just forget it!"  Really?  Of course we have to ask.  Sometimes things come our way unexpectantly, without asking, but more often, we don't have because we don't ask.  And I would add, ask directly.

Last night, I sat across the table from someone who could help provide some of the needs of our We Honor Vets program where I work.  I shared with him what we were doing, the reason why we chose those things and then I asked for his help.  He replied, "So, how much do you need?"  I then replied, in a very specific way what we needed and why, and then a very specific number.  He said, "I'll have your check drafted in the morning."

Now, I can't tell you that you will get everything you ever ask from every person you ask it, but I can say that if you don't ask, and ask specifically, your chances of receiving it drop considerably - wouldn't you agree?  Further, and more importantly, when it comes to God, your request will be answered.  "Ask and you will receive" (Mt 7:7).

Now God may have to make some modification based on his righteousness and goodness and his love for you, but he will listen and he will answer.  But you must first be willing to ask for what you truly want.  Do you know what you truly want?  Maybe that should be your first request, to know what it is that you truly desire.  It may not be what you think.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment