Friday, September 18, 2015

New Life from Old Bones

I suspect that most people throw their chicken bones away after they finished eating the chicken, but not my wife.  She puts them back in the same pot the chicken was cooked in, adds a little more water, tosses in some dry beans and some of the best bean soup you've ever tasted comes to life.

In my reading of Ezekiel, I came to chapter 37, where the prophet is shown a valley of dry bones - the bones of dead warriors scattered across a field, never to battle another day.  Well, at least it seemed that way: 'Son of man, can these bones live?' I said, 'Sovereign Lord, you alone know.'  Then he said to me, 'Prophesy to these bones and say to them, Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life'"(37:3-5).  What appeared to be a useless pile of bones became a great army, ready for battle.

What may appear to be used up, dried out bones, may not have seen their last days, depending on whether or not they are subjected to the power required to bring life out of them.  For the chicken bone, it took the culinary skills of my wife.  For the dry warrior bones in the valley, it took the life-giving power of the Lord.

If you are not living up to your potential, getting into a little hot water might get you back on track.  But if you are dead spiritually, dried out and lifeless, it will take more.  It will take the power of the Living God to bring life back to your soul.  But life can be brought back.  If you know someone who seems to be spiritually dried out, the power of God can bring them back to life as well.

You may be depressed and lying in the dust of disappointment but you walk with God does not have to be over.  He can revive you.  The Lord Jesus can breathe new life into your spirit, new hope into your soul and a newly claimed future can rise out of the ashes.

If you have gone as far as you can go, carried as much as you can carry, now is the time to come to Jesus, who calls, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Mt 11:28-30).  Jus' Say'n.


No comments:

Post a Comment