Friday, August 25, 2017

The Knock

I don't generally knock on my own door.  Normally, I just walk in as I have the key and the code to open the doors.  However, the other day, when I parked in our garage, I found the door locked and I was without a key to that door, so I knocked.  Fortunately, my wife heard my knocking and opened the door so I could come in for supper.

Jesus faces this same situation where he stands at the door of his own house, the church, and has to gain entry by knocking: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, they with me" (Rev 3:20).

Many would object saying that he is at the door of sinners, not the church.  I would counter by saying that he is knocking at the door of sinners in the church.  I know this to be true because the Book of Revelation was written for and sent to "the seven churches in the province of Asia" (1:4).

Could he be knocking on the door of your church?  Could you be one of the sinners within whose door is locked against him?  Are your eyes fully set upon Jesus?  Is your heart fully open to him?  Or have you lost focus, has your heart become calloused, have you "forsaken the love you had at first?" (2:4).

It happens easily enough, where one's passion for the Christ begins to wane as concerns about finances, health, job security, status, retirement, family, etc. - all begin to take the top spot in our time, energy and resources.  For many, even recreation time of biking, fishing, hunting, vacationing, all begin to eclipse their love for the Lord.

The question is not for "the many," it is for you, it is for me, it is for us.  Do we still have "first love" for Christ or has it been replaced.  The what it is replaced with does not matter; it matters only that it has been replaced.  So, what say you?  Is Jesus knocking at your door?  Will you answer it and invite him in to "eat with him and he with you"?  Jus' Ask'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment