Thursday, February 19, 2015

Gratitude

A few decades back, I read the story of a preacher from generations past, whose name I have long forgotten.  It was said of this man that he was robbed of his money bag one day at the point of a knife. When asked how he felt about being robbed, he replied, "Grateful."  He went on to explain: "I am grateful that I had something to steal.  I  am grateful he did no more than steal.  And, I am grateful that I am not a thief."

I am not sure of the veracity of the story above, I am not certain of the exactness of the quotations.  But I positively stand behind the premise of gratitude, which is on display in its presentation.  I know that gratitude in the face of loss is the biblical place upon which to stand.  I am convinced that looking for the good for which to praise God instead of the bad for which to complain is a point of separation from the spirit of the world and the Spirit of Christ.

Jesus reveals that "the eye is the lamp of the body.  If your eye is healthy, your whole body will be filled with light.  But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be filled with darkness" (Matt 6:22-23).  He warned that focusing on the bad, darkens the spirit while focusing on the good brightens it.

The apostle Paul, filled with the Spirit of Christ, said that we are to "rejoice always" (Phil 4:4) and that the "secret o being content in every circumstance" (v.12) is found "in him [Christ] who gives me strength" (v. 13).  And, he instructs us to "sing with gratitude in our hearts to God" (Col 3:16) and "whatever we do to do it in the name of the Lord Jesus with gratitude in our hearts" (v. 17).

Rather than get tied up in knots over the circumstances of life, the Spirit of Christ calls us to relax and "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (Phil 4:6).

Having an attitude of gratitude towards God for all  the good he brings into your life shines the light of truth on the darkness of  the moment when life closes in, the truth that, in Christ, we have the victory and that "in all things, God works for the good of those who love him... (Rom 8:28).  So, don't stress.  Instead, "let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near" (Phil 4:5).  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment