Monday, October 12, 2015

Doing The Math

We had our weekend all planned out.  We were going to lower our new portable shed by 6 inches, build a ramp for our motorcycles and wire the out building with receptacles and a light.  With these things completed we could then move our bikes to the shed and finally get my car into our garage.

It was a perfect plan, except for one thing, we didn't do the math.  We decided how big a ramp we wanted and what we wanted wired inside the shed, went to Lowes with our card that had a credit on  it to cover the costs of materials, which we purchased and returned ready to tackle the job.

With the help of a friend who knew how to build a ramp, we decided to get the ramp out of the way first.  However, the first leg of our journey to completing the the shed project, was the last leg we were standing on at the end of the weekend when we collapsed in defeat.  The ramp, which had been laid out by our friend and brought to a point that we could finish it on our own, ran into a snag or two (including burning the motor out of a table saw) but was completed to the dimensions we had decided would be adequate.  Again, however, we didn't do the math.

With the ramp complete, we were ready to take our bikes inside.  Tandie suggested I take mine in first since I she hadn't taken a bike up a ramp in a while, so off I went.  It was smooth sailing until I high-centered on the entrance way due to fact that - What?  Right, I didn't do the math.  Due to the length of my wheel base and the distance of the lowest part of my frame to thee ground, it seemed our ramp was probably about two feet too short to allow clearance.  It was a loud and sudden stop inside the doorway.

The ironic thing about this is that my wife, Tandie, is taking college algebra and knows how to figure slope ratios to allow the needed clearance.  Of course, it would have helped if I had asked her to do the math before I jumped in to build the ramp.  It would have helped if I had spent some time praying and thinking about it before tackling it as I might have been reminded of my Lord's warning to do the math in Luke 14:28, “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won't you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?

Of course, He wasn't talking about ramps and slopes in particular, he was using an analogy warning us to add up the cost of commitment required to be His disciple before taking that step - do the math. Ha I applied his analogy to my project, I could have spared us a weekend on a project that came to such a disappointing end.  Now, as we do the math, it is looking like it might be be more cost effective to hire someone who  does this kind of thing for a living than spend another weekend tearing up the one we built and trying to build another one.

Sorry Lord, you  warned me to do the math, had supplied me with an algebra-equipped mind but I failed to listen and do the math.  Oh, did I mention I am fighting the urge to jump in and try it again?  How does that even add up?  Will I multiply my losses with another run at it or divide my agony by hiring a professional?  WWJD?  Well, as a carpenter by trade and God of the universe, he would do it right.  What would he have me do?  I believe it would be to use the gifts he has given me, one of which is not ramp-building.  And don't even get me started on possibilities of angst if I were to try to wire this shed.

So, what's the takeaway?  Listen to Jesus.  Whatever you are about to do, take some time to prayerfully and carefully consider the cost.  Do the math before making a mess.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment