Friday, October 16, 2015

Questions

It is interesting to listen in on a conversation, where both parties are trying hard to get their points across but are hardly tyring to listen to the other.  Over speak, wherein each try to talk over the other as they try to continue advancing their ideas without having to consider what the other has to say, is a fairly common phenomenon.

At the end of a presentation by someone who is an expert on the subject, when questions are solicited, even though you know everyone did not get everything being said - silence, no one ventures to ask for illumination.  And then one hand goes up, not to truly ask a question but to demonstrate his/her knowledge on the subject queries, "Dont you think that...?"

In an effort not to appear foolish or ignorant, we often insure that we remain ignorant by our foolish reluctance to ask questions.  In stark contrast, Jesus, of whom the Bible says "grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man" (Lk 2:52), when left behind at the temple, was later found "sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions" (Lk 2:42).

Here we have 12 year-old, God incarnate Jesus, the source of wisdom and knowledge, asking questions.  Of course, in human form, he needed to grow and develop, but how many almost-thirteen year-old are in to asking questions?  Do you remember when your kids were becoming teens?  Do you remember when you were that age?  We knew so much more than our parents at that age, what could anyone over 30 have to share with us?

But Jesus, who actually was developing well beyond his years, knew enough to ask questions and quietly listen to his elders.  When he was questioned by them, because he did listen and learn, "Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers" (Lk 2:47).

When I began my journey of formal religious and theological education, I was quick to answer when a professor asked a question.  I had all the answers.  By the time I was working   on my doctorate, I had discovered that I had almost no answers and was eager to ask questions.  At the completion of my formal studies, I walked away with more questions than I had answers.  I had finally learned enough to know how little I actually knew.

I'm not saying that I go dumber (more ignorant) as I advanced in my studies.  What I am saying is that I learned to sit dumber (less talkative) as I listened to what was being said and asked question at the end of lectures to insure I had a grasp of what was being shared in order to pursue further study on the subject.

If couples actually asked questions and then listened closely to the answer instead of formulating a rebuttal, their would be so much less divorce.  If politicians would come to the table, ready to hear the other side before coming to a decision, they would have so much more bi-partisan bills moving forward.  If church members asked questions, listened intently for the answer before adding to the discussion, like our Lord Jesus, would grow in wisdom and stature.

Any questions?  Jus' Ask'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment