Tuesday, October 13, 2015

No Way? Yahweh!

There was a cartoon of Jesus talking to his disciples, telling them of their Divine calling to which they replied, "No way!"  And then Jesus responded, "Yahweh!"  While I don't usually like jokes involving Jesus or the Father, this one is really spot on theologically.  The disciples incredulous, "This can't be done!" is being me with Jesus' affirmation, "Yes in God it can!"  Luke 18:27, "Jesus replied, 'What is impossible with man is possible with God.'"

I was reading from Luke 1 this morning, where Zechariah the priest was being informed by the angel Gabriel that his wife, Elizabeth, would have a son and Zechariah's incredulous response was, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years" (vs. 18).  The angel's response was definitive: “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news" (vs. 19).

How can I be sure?  God said it!  And as the Lord himself says, "...my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it" (Isa 55:11).  There us to be a bumper sticker that read, "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."  I would shorten that slogan to simply, "God said, that settles it."  As we see with Zechariah, it doesn't matter if we believe it or not, God's affirmations are firm and will happen.

So, when God promises, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Mt 6:33),  why do you "...worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. (vs. 25)?  Why don't you relax about tomorrow and rejoice in the comfort of God's promises?

As you look at your circumstances, you may be saying to yourself, "This is impossible, there is no way I can do this!"  And you may be right about your ability.  With you there may be no way, but then there is Yahweh!  With God, impossible is not a barrier.  The only barrier to his blessings in your life is your unwillingness or inability to "believe and receive" for "...whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (Mk 11:24).

No way?  Not even close!  Yahweh?  Absolutely!  Jus' Say'n.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being faithful to post these blogs. They are helpful, encouraging, and I love reading them. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete