Sunday, February 9, 2014

Focus

It is a popular notion that everyone is created with a purpose - that when God created you and me, He had something special in mind for us to do in this world. And, in principle, I believe that to be true. However, I think the focus of that concept is generally wrong. 

What I mean is that we tend to think of ourselves and our work for which we are created as the focus of our lives. People spend their lives searching for or wondering what their purpose might be. I so often hear people say, "I know God has a purpose for me. I just don't know what it is."

The trouble is, if the focus is always on me, I will always be out of focus because I am looking in the wrong direction entirely. The focus of our lives and of the universe is not us, it is God. God does not particularly have a purpose for me, he has a purpose to which he calls us. A purpose, by the way, clearly defined in Scripture. 

God's purpose, to which he calls us, is the redemption of this fallen world: "For God so loved the world that he sent his one and only Son, that whosoever believes on him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).    

We can all participate in that purpose in countless ways throughout the day and throughout our lives. Perhaps there is even a special ministry opportunity to which you are drawn but your purpose is to serve God by reaching out to a fallen world. 

People are broken and need the healing hands of a Savior who absolutely wants to work through your life, touching people with whom you come into contact. Maybe it's the widow across the street or the child across the country or the family on another continent. Wherever you see a need, you have opportunity to serve God's purpose. 

Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment