Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Following Jesus

In John 14, Jesus assured his disciples of their future place with him and that they knew the way to the place where he was going [Heaven].  The disciples, however, didn't quite get what he was saying: "Thomas said to him, 'Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?' Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'"vv. 5-6).

Jesus' words revealed a great truth that many of His disciples still don't get to this day. We do know the way, even if we don't realize it. Say what?  How can we know what we aren't aware of?  Let me illustrate. If I said you know the way to the address I have in mind, you might reply, "How could I know that?"  But if I told you that I was thinking of your address, you would have to agree you did know it. Make sense?

Jesus was telling them that they way to Heaven was not coming to know and practice a collection of rituals, complex theology or comprehensive doctrine; the way to where He was going was to simply follow Him. It is much like meeting someone at a familiar spot and following them home. You don't have to know how far, how many turns or what the house will even look like - you just have to follow your friend home. 

Jesus was telling His disciples, therefore, telling us: You know the way to Heaven because I am the Way and you know Me. Our path is not to ferret out some elaborate system of religion but to have a relationship with Him in which we follow closely in his steps - be disciples - do what Jesus did, following His example in the Bible and the urging of His Holy Spirit within our hearts. 

His call has always been the same, "Come follow me" (Matt 4:19). Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment