Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Never Left Alone

In John 14:18, Jesus promises, "I will never leave you as orphans ". We can fairly take from that passage that he will never leave our side, even if we walk "through the valley of the shadow of death" (Psa 23:4).  That does not mean, however, that we will never go it alone. 

Jesus promises never to leave us but he doesn't promise that he will prevent us from leaving him. He has never and will never abandon us, but can the same be said for you and I, that we will never abandon him?

When I was a little boy, my dad let me tag along as he went hunting. I remember there was snow on the ground and we were heading through the woods to a clearing. My dad never left me behind.  He would stop and wait on me when I would fall behind. When I got distracted and wandered off the path, he would call me to get back on it. My dad did not leave me behind, but neither did he walk with me when I wandered off the path, he stopped and called me back to it. 

Jesus is not going to follow you when you leave the path of righteousness and wander aimlessly into sin. He will stop and call you back to the path. Remember the verse from yesterday?  "Take up your cross and follow him" (Matt 16:24), not he will follow you. 

There are two paths in life, one that leads to life, which God calls us to and one that leads to death, from which God calls us to leave (see Matt 7:13-14).   God will never leave you alone but you can choose to go it alone. It is just as it was in the days of Joshua when he declared to the Children of Israel, "if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you then choose for yourselves whom you will serve" (Josh 24:15).  

You never have to be left alone but God will allow you that choice. What is your choice?  Jus' Askn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment