Thursday, October 6, 2016

Prosperity Gospel?

This morning I read these words from Psalm 1:1-3, "Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither---whatever they do prospers."

So, are the prosperity preachers correct in saying hat Jesus came to insure our savings as much as assure our salvation?  Are riches and righteousness together a sign that God is with you?  Does your praise and your portfolio rise together?  If so, what about the prophets of old and their lack of profit realized as they proclaimed the Word of God?  Why were the apostles a ragtag band of followers instead rags to riches examples of faithfulness?

Precisely why did Jesus tell the rich young man, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven" (Matt 9:21)?  And then warn his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven" (v. 23)?

How is it that the righteous prosper and yet so many followers of the Messiah flop at fail to have money?  Because the prosperity of God's children is stored up in heaven, where their true treasure and their hearts are found, not on earth (cf. Matt 6:19-21). The abundance or absence of money has nothing to do with the prosperity of the godly.

Followers of Jesus can equally be princes and paupers. Hollywood, Washington and Wall Street are filled with the materially wealthy but spiritually bankrupt. On the other hand, I have been in the company of third world peasants who were rich in grace.

I'm not trying to say their is virtue in being poor, I'm absolutely saying there is no virtue in being rich. Material wealth is immaterial: "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ" (Phil 3:7-8).  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment