Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Key

I have a key ring with several keys from which to choose.  They are of different shapes and sizes.  I can choose to use any of them at any time but only one fits the door of my house, only one fits the door to the church building, only one fits the door to my shed and so on.  Many keys and many choices but my choice is limited to one when it comes down to actually using it to open a particular door.

On more than one occasion I have tried to use the wrong key to open the church building door with my office key and my office with the church building key as they both look so much alike.  But, while they have some common features, they are neither one a substitute for the other - regardless of how much I giggle the keys.  Each lock can be opened by only one key pattern.  When I want to enter a particular door, I must use a particular key.

I used this principle to begin writing this blog.  In order to open up this iPad, I had to use a pattern of key strokes.  There are many keys to use and in infinite number of patterns from which to choose.  I am free to choose any that I wish but only one particular set of key strokes will unlock the device, allowing me to share these thoughts with you as I am at this moment.

In my case next to the chair I am sitting in as I am writing, there is laptop computer from my office.  If I were to open it and use the key strokes I have used for this computer, I would get a warning that I have made an error and then denied access.  No matter how many times I try, I will not gain access with these key strokes.  Actually, in that computer, if I try the wrong strokes three times, I will be given instructions to contact my program administrator as access is denied altogether.

So why am I telling you all this?  Why am I bothering to talk about the singularity of keys?  Because only Jesus is the Key to eternal life - he alone is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life; and no man comes to the Father except through [him]" (Jn 14:6).

He alone open the door to our Father's home and the glory awaiting us.  There are many choices when it comes to religious paths: Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Bhuddist, and thousands more.  But Jesus alone is the correct choice for "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

My saying that is not narrow minded or bigoted or exclusive - it is simply true.  To say there are many paths to heaven sounds very tolerant and inclusive but it is not true and helps no one come to the Father.  While I can tolerate and even defend anyone's right to choose whatever path they will, I cannot support or agree unless it is Jesus. Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment