Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Forgive and Forget

I'll forgive him but I will never forget what he's done to me. Translation: I'll keep my anger in check but I'm going to hang on to inside forever. True meaning: I'm never going to truly forgive and let my inward hurt go. Problem: I have a difficult time believing in or accepting forgiveness.

It is difficult to forgive at times. I think it is especially tough when it was someone close who offended us. It seems that Christians often have a bigger problem forgiving other Christians than unbelievers - we tend to expect more of them. I get it. Unfortunately, God does not accept it.

His Word is very clear on the subject: "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" (Eph 4:32).  Notice the "one another?"  The Lord is specifically saying that Christians are to forgive other Christians - the very ones whose offenses we feel least inclined to overlook.

Why would that be so?  Even given that He says, "For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins" (Matt 6:14, 15), why other Christians in particular?  I mean we, like the Prodigal Son's older brother, have a right to remain angry - don't we?  Not!

How we deal with one another in Christ tells the world around us what we truly believe about Him and this whole redemption thing for which He came and died. Our treatment of each other as Christians is so telling that Jesus proclaimed, "they will know you are my disciples by your love for one another" (John 13:35).

So, what's a disciple to do?  Forgive!  Forgive and forget so that the last ounce of anger and resentment is purged from your heart and soul that you might truly follow Jesus in this matter - that you might truly shine as His disciple.

Jus' Sayn.

No comments:

Post a Comment