Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Remember the opening words of The Lord's Prayer?  "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..." (Matt 6:9)?  Has a nice ring, doesn't it?  You feel a bit more religious just saying it.  But what do we mean by it?  I'm not asking what does the word "hallowed" mean, per se. I'm asking what do we mean to say by using it?

The word itself means "holy or honored."  But when we use it, what do we mean by it?  Anything?  If I say "holy or honored" be His name, what is my intention?  Do I have any?  Is it just a word we say because it was a word we were taught or does it have significance for us?

Think about this with me - if I say "honored be your name," what.do I do to honor it?  Do I simply say the word honor?  Or, is there not some call upon my life to bring honor to His name in that statement?  We say the word but do we honor the Name?

Does your life honor God?  When people know you bear the name of Christ (Christian), do they, in seeing how you live, think what an awesome God He must be?  When others bear witness to your worship, are they drawn to praise His name?  Does your life draw your children closer to Him or drive a wedge?

Do you, in word, thought and deed, bring honor to the name of God or raise questions about His goodness or even His existence?

Jus' Askn.

No comments:

Post a Comment