Thursday, August 1, 2013

In God We Trust?

From the meager penny to the hefty $100 bill, all of our currency declares, "in God we trust."  The way most American work for, worry about and wrestle with their money or lack thereof, shows that we, in fact, tend to worship the "Almighty Dollar" instead.

This was certainly King Asa of Judah's problem. When under siege by King Baasha, instead of turning to The Lord for help, he robbed the treasury of the Lord's temple and sent it to Ben-Hadad, king of Damascus to purchase his partnership against Baasha. He thought this gold and silver would buy him peace, instead it insured that he would never be free from the threat of war (cf. 2 Chron 16:9).

Is it any different today?  When we put our trust in the pursuit and gathering of money to insure our peace, don't we instead remain fretful. We plan, dream and scheme about ways to build up a stash of cash in order to pay off this bill or fix that thing or finance that need but the wants and the needs keep coming and your reserves seem always to be at risk or already depleted. Sound familiar, maybe a little too familiar?

I used to dream that by my age I'd be debt-free, including a paid-off mortgage and enough retirement funds banked to actually retire. However, the realities of life proved to be anything but that as I was stripped of everything a few years back.

Like Asa, money would not bring me the peace I desired. But unlike him, I chose not to put my faith in finances or anything material. As King David wrote, "Some trust in horses and some trust in chariots, but we will trust in the name of The Lord" (Ps 20:7).  I chose, and continue to choose, to trust in God instead of currency. As a result, I do not wrestle, wrangle or worry with the money-siphons of life. I know that God will provide as he always has.

In what or whom do you trust?

Jus' Askn.

No comments:

Post a Comment