Monday, September 16, 2013

Unanswered Prayer

I sat talking with an elderly gentleman whose days were soon coming to an end, but not soon enough for him. He was quite old, unable to go farther than from his bed to his recliner and required fairly heavy medication to beat back the pain - this life could not come to an end too soon for him. 

He told me, "I've been praying to God daily to let me go home but He's chosen not to answer me."  He was bewildered as to why God would not hear or chose not to answer his prayer. As a chaplain, I needed to come along side of him and help him see God's response to prayer in a better light. 

Perhaps you too could use a little light.  To begin, just because you haven't heard an answer, doesn't mean it wasn't spoken. In Daniel 9:23, we read, "as soon as you began to pray, a word went out."  In 10:12-13, Daniel was told, "...your words were heard...but the Prince of Persia resisted me 21 days."  There may be more going on between your praying and hearing an answer than you can imagine. 

It could be that the answer is no or you must wait, and you just aren't listening for either of those replies.  We can be fairly deft to answers that don't meet our desires. Or is that just me?

It could be that the answer is bigger than just you. It could be that it isn't you at the center at all. It could be that the elderly gentleman's prolonged stay was about his children, grandchildren or others who would be impacted by the answer. Your "unanswered" or "delayed answered" or undesired answer may not be about you either. 

Let me share my answer to your prayer concerns: God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good. You can trust Him. 

Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment