Saturday, September 21, 2013

Who Made The Salad?

When I was a young man, there was a TV commercial, where people enjoying their salad, asked the host, "Who made the salad?"   The answer came back, "Caesar did!"   It was when Caesar salad dressing came out and they wanted to give credit to the true source of the wonderful flavor. Not having arrived at a point in life where salads ever crossed my lips, I cannot vouch for the taste.  But I do endorse the truth of giving credit where credit is due. 

This concept is especially important when it comes to acknowledging God's power exercised in our lives.  Too often we tend to think that we are the source of our blessings - that our intelligence, our skill, our hard work is responsible for what we have in life. Really?  

I'm reminded of the time I asked a 14 year old boy if he wanted to offer grace. He responded, "Why?  We grew all the vegetables and I killed the chicken."  "Is that a fact," I replied.  "Did you cause the rain to come and the plants to germinate?  Did you give life to that chicken?"  He, didn't answer. But he did bow his head while I prayed. 

Think about it. Did you choose your parents, did you select the country of your birth, did you provide all the opportunities that have come your way?

Isaiah once asked, "Does the axe raise itself above the one who swings it, or does the saw boast against the one who uses it" (10:15)?  He goes on to amplify this point in 64:8, "We are the clay, You are the Potter.  We are the work of your hand."

Who made the salad?  God did!  Give praise to Him for all the blessings in your life for, "every good and perfect gift comes down from above" (James 1:17). 

Jus' Sayn

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts. I found this looking to see if anyone remembered that commercial; few do. Whenever I use Caesar dressing, I think of it. And yes, we are God's handiwork!

    ReplyDelete