Tuesday, October 15, 2013

All In

In 1 Kings 19:19f, Elisha answers the call to ministry.  His first act was to break up his plowing equipment to build a fire upon which he roasted his oxen and provided an impromptu banquet for others working the fields. Elisha, apparently, was the first "Celebrity Chef" (Sorry, couldn't help myself).

Interesting way to begin a life of ministry, but one that makes total sense. He literally burned his bridge back to farming. He wanted no fail safe opportunity or back up plan. Elisha was all in, there was no room left for turning back.  Elisha, by the way, rocked as a prophet.

When I was finishing up the ministry program at Harding, a counselor advised me to complete a degree in business as I already had so many hours in that field and it would serve as a good fall back plan. I remember thanking him for his concern but then saying to him, "If I fall, I want God to catch me."  Thirty plus years later, through it all, I'm still here and still in ministry. 

Imagine applying this principle to marriage - what would that do to the divorce rate?  What would an employer give to have a worker who was all in?  What if our politicians were all in for America instead of in all our pockets?  What if Christians in this country were all in, regardless of the distractions or roadblocks to faith?  What if you were all in?  Perhaps you are - do you recon so?

Jus' Askn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment