Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Revelation Not Excavation

When I was younger, I saw biblical understanding as a matter of excavation.  Like an archeologist on a dig, I was uncovering layer after layer of truth and wisdom as I pursued and earned enough degrees to be a thermometer.  

I became very educated in the process but I really hadn't gained all that much wisdom or truth. I have found that I have learned far more in my 50s as I've discovered how little I actually know. In fact, I have become increasingly aware of the growing number of things of which I know nothing about. And yet, The Lord has increased my wisdom and knowledge of truth immeasurably. 

When I gave up excavating for the truth and began to seek revelation of the truth, I began to see clearly things that the wise of this world will never see for God has "hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children" (Luke 10:47).

I'm not against education, especially biblical education, but there can be a pride of learning that interferes with the humility of spirit needed to approach the Father seeking insight that only He can provide, insight that is revealed not uncovered. The Pharisees and the teachers of the Law, in Jesus' day, were very educated but their pride kept them from seeing the truth presented by the Truth himself personally. 

Prayerfully studying your Bible daily and humbly paying attention to opportunities to hear truth as God allows, in whatever form they appear (ie. classes, books, nature, a small child, an old person, etc), opens us up to revelation of truth as we "encounter angels (messengers of God) without knowing it" (Heb 13:2). 

Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment