Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Desperately Seeking God

In 1985, Madonna starred in a movie entitled, "Desperately Seeking Susan."  I don't remember much of the movie except the plot was that of someone who became fascinated with her by reading messages sent to and from in a New York City tabloid, and one day went to meet her in a park, where Susan was to meet someone else.

The point of the movie that brings it to mind is that "Roberta" (Roseanna Arquette) was desperately seeking Susan but she was not in despair.  While despair and desperate sound like they might be twins or first cousins at the least, they are anything but.

Desperation is the point at which we will move heaven and earth to find, achieve or acquire, while despair is the point where we give up all hope of ever having what we long for, finding who is missing or reaching a goal that we desire.  Desperation is a launching pad, while despair is a prison.  The two, although rooted in the same sense of deep desire or need, are polar opposites in their dynamics.  Desperaton is the dynamic for hope, while despair is the dynamic for hopelessness.

In Psalm 142, David, on the run and living in a cave, is desperate but does not despair.  Instead, he desperately seeks after God: "Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me. Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me" (vv. 6-7).

In Matthew 27, Judas, after having betrayed Jesus,  went back to the chief priests who had paid him to hand over Jesus and in despair cried out, "I have sinned for I have betrayed innocent blood...threw the money into the temple...then he went away and hanged himself" (vv. 4-5).   David's desperation drew him to the Lord, while Judas' despair separated him from the Lord forever.  

Your situation in life may be desperate right now.  You have the choice to give in to despair or get on with desperately seeking God, who can lift you up.  You can sink into self-pity or stand up in selfless praise.  You can let despair get the upper hand or you can desperately raise your hands up to God.  What will you choose: Despair of seeing good or desperately seeking God?  Jus' Ask'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment