Monday, March 16, 2015

My Way?

In a webinar the other day, which was using Elvis songs to illustrate various points, there was one tune that struck a sour note in my spirit: "My Way."  While I understand the point of individualizing our approaches in health care, and understand how the song fit, I just fundametally reject the overall message of the song, which suggests the successful life is lived by doing what you want, how you want and when you want.

The notion of doing everything my way suggests that I know what is best for me and that is what I'm going to do, regardless of how it might be accepted by or impact others.  "It's my life and I can do what I want with it."  True, but does that make it best?  This is similar to the argument for abortion, which says, "It's my body and I can choose what I want with it."  True, but does that mean it's best?  It is best for a baby who will never get the opportunity to experience life and reach his/her potential in serving God and man?  Is it best for the dad, the grandma, society as a whole?

Does experience really support the notion that doing everything in the manner and time that you want is a good thing?  Have you not ever wished someone had taken you aside before a particular choice you made and talked some sense into your head?  Have you not ever wondered, "What was I thinking?"  Have you not ever wanted to retrace your steps or stuff words back into your mouth?  Do we really have no need of guides, mentors and teachers?

The wisest man to ever live, Solomon, wrote, "Plans fail for a lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed" (Prov 15:22).  Why do you think kings have always employed counselors?  Because they didn't have the right to make their own decisions?  Not!  Kings who employ counselors do so because they want to make the right decisions.  Wise kings and individuals of all stripes seek wise counsel.

The wisest of all seek counsel from the Lord.  The foolish, thinking they are wise, do not turn to God, believing they are sufficient in and of themselves, they fail to receive what is truly good and valuable: "You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing .’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see" (Rev 3:17-18).

My way?  Elvis sang the song and lived a life that seemed to be the envy of the world.  But exactly how did his way end up? Bloated, overdosed and dead.  I would suggest that we rewrite that song so that it reflects a life giving message.  I suggest our song ought to be "I Did It Thy Way."  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment