Sunday, June 21, 2015

Fathers' Daze

If I were to have written a book when I first started preaching, it would have been entitled, "Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Rearing Children."  If I had written on the subject when my kids were in primary school, it would have been, "Some Things You Should Know About Child Rearing."  If I were to have written one after my kids were in their teen years, it would have been, "A Few Possibly Helpful Tips On Parenting."  If I were to write that book today, I would entitle it, "Good Luck With That."

Funny, the more you learn, the you know about how much you haven't learned and don't know.  I had no idea how individual kids are - that what works on one may have zero effect on the next.  I didn't know going in that a child's primary mover is not parental will, what is right or what is best for everyone, their primary mover is self-preservation.  A kid will do and say most anything to protect against discipline or consequences.  For those parents who are still believing, "My child would never lie to me," I offer this counter: NOT!  They will lie like a Persian Rug and hide things like a squirrel before winter.

I  know that Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Mt 18:3-4).  But he didn't say, little children perfect in every way, so don't expect to find any disappointment in your rearing them up.

Actually, the Bible is clear in saying, "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined---and everyone undergoes discipline---then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all" (Heb 12:7-8).

The truth is that children are a challenge to rear because they are a moving target.  They adapt and change, learning new and better ways of  throwing partners off guard.  Parents, on the other hand, are woefully unprepared and no instructions come attached to that bundle of joy/terror.

The good news is that millions and millions of dads have gone before you, surviving the onslaught of child-sponsored terror.  And also, much of our most wonderful experiences comes from this same challenge.  The icing on the cake is that Jesus promises, "I will never leave you as orphans" (Jn 14:18).  Where we are weak, he is strong.  Nothing is too hard to deal with when Jesus is near, not even rearing children.  Jus' Say'n.



No comments:

Post a Comment