Friday, August 28, 2015

Cliff Walking

"The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights" (Hab 3:19).  After reading this passage, I turned to Google and typed in "deer climbing mountain."  I thumbed through dozens of pictures of deer climbing, not just on top the peaks but on the side of sheer cliffs.  It was incredible to see these creatures with no ropes, no pylons, no opposable thumb, climging to the face of massive cliffs.

When the minor prophet, Habbakuk, wrote about the Lord making our feet like the feet of deer, he was talking about enabling us to continue in the face of seemingly impossible passages.  He wasn't talking about making us fleet of foot or even steady in stance but unshaken and unstoppable against overwhelming circumstances.

Come with me as I go back to the words of the prophet and listen as he paints a picture of the rocky crags and sheer cliffs that the Lord will enable us to climb up and over: "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior" (Hab 3:17-18).

Impossible condiions.  For an agarian culture, no crops and no livestock means no life.  But then there is God.  While such conditionns may be impossible for man, "...with God all things are possible" (Mt 19:26).  When the going gets tough, the tough get going.  When the going becomes impossible, the disciple gets on his knees before God.

I have been in impossible circumstances, facing cliffs too verticle, to sheer and too high for me to climb.  But the Lord set my feet firmly in the rock and enabled my weak and weary frame to walk where walking was impossible.  He emabled me, like the deer he enabled to walk up the side of a cliff, to continue my journey when I saw no possible way.

Paul wrote, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (Phil 4:4-6).

In every situation, do not be anxious becasue the Lord is near.  Instead of wringing your hand, fold them in prayer.  Instead of pacing the floor, get on your knees.  Instead of fearing what you are facing, turn your face toward God.  Instead of giving up on your struggle, give it up to the Lord above.  You may not have the strength or ability for cliff walking, but then there is God.  Jus' Say'n.


No comments:

Post a Comment