Monday, August 17, 2015

Running With Horses

You've heard of the Running of The Bulls in Pamplona, which is actually only one of many such runnings but certainly the most noted.  The practice apparently began as a way to encourage the bulls to get from the ranches to the market faster and later became somewhat of a contest in bravado.  What little I have seen of it on the news is more of a jumping in among them, run like crazy and jump out before becoming a hood ornament for a bovine.

In the Book of Jeremiah, there is a somewhat similar occurrence spoken of in prophecy, not as a literal running but rather metaphor, and not as a game to highlight ability but as a gauge to spotlight inability: “If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?" (12:5).  If you think life is difficult now, just hold on because it will bet worse.  And, if you are struggling to make it now, what will you do when the going really gets tough?

I remember Dr Jerry Jones at Harding University talking about a student who came into his office to tell him that he was leaving.  He told Dr Jones that he was tired of being told what to do, when to get up, when to go to bed, what to wear, etc.  When Dr Jones asked him what his plans were, he replied, "I'm enlisting in the Marines."  Really?  If Harding was too restrictive, just how was he going to be able to deal with Marine boot camp?  Good luck with that!

I thought it was tough when my then baby son was very sick and in the hospital for several days.  It was hard to watch him suffer and the bill took all the cash money I had to my name.  But it was nothing compared to when his mother and my wife was diagnosed with stage-four bladder cancer, which took her life and everything we ever owned, leaving me a widower in a mountain of debt.

I stumbled when I ran with the foot soldiers of my son's illness but I was trampled on by the horses of my wife's cancer.  I was tested and found wanting.  But thanks be to God that he had already revealed to me what I needed and I wanted the help of my Savior, who delivered me in both instances - not because I was so brave or able but because he is so loving and merciful.  I could not make it on my own, I knew that.  And, even though, my faith took a beating, God was faithful, taking me and my pitiful mustard seed faith in his arms.  What did I do when the horses came?  I ran or more accurately limped to the Savior.

What will you do?  Will you try to tough it out alone?  Will you rage at God?  Will you turn away from the body of Christ?  Will you allow your faith to be trampled?  Or will you turn to God and let him carry you through what you cannot keep up with the foot soldiers, or catch up with the horses or get out of the bulls' way?

May I suggest taking Jesus up on his offer? “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matt 1128-30).  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment