Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Drop

Yesterday, in the first five minutes of the opening of the Stock Market yesterday, the DOW dropped over 1000 points, which is the single greatest drop in its history, leading some to predict a 40% slide in a new Bear Market following on the heels of "Black Monday."

So, what should we do?  Should we set out hair on fire and jump off a building or sell off what ever is left of our stocks, cash in our 401ks and stock up on can goods and bottled water?  I'm thinking not since stocks have gained 200% since 2009 and this drop of 6.7% pales in comparison to the October 1987 drop of 22.6%, since which we not only survived but thrived.

But, what if I'm wrong?  What if the Black Monday crowd is right and China's weakening economy and shaky stock market drives us into a huge, prevailing Bear Market and stock values drop through the floor?  Well, I plan to start each day the same with Bible study and prayer, ending each day praying to the same God above.  While I'm not worried about the Market or the economy, I realize that it all could go south.  I just don't intend to go with it.

I've been very poor.  I've experienced the loss of every material thing I own and a mountain of debt so high that I couldn't climb it.  I was in a whirlwind of loss that was totally out of my control and yet, here I am, sitting in my recliner, writing today's blog.  Do I not think I could suffer another great loss?  Do I not realize the power of Market forces?

I do realize both.  I am fully cognizant of the fact that I am not in control.  But I also know that God is in control.  Be it Bull Market or Bear, hospital debt or holiday dining, I am never in control but God is never lacking control.  He has the whole world in his hands - just like the children's song proclaims.  He has you and me brother, you and me sister, the whole wide world in his hands.

I am reminded of what Moses said to the children of Israel has they prepared to enter the Promised Land: "Today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not panic or be terrified by them. For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory" (Deut 20:3-4).  The point?  The battle is not our but the Lord's.  God will go ahead of us.  We can rest easy in his care - regardless.

The apostle Paul puts it this way: "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength" (Phil 4:12-13).  As a child of God, we can face any circumstance because God's got this.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment