Thursday, March 3, 2016

Drawn of God

I was reading from John chapter six this morning and came to the verse, which reads, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day" (44).  This verse has led and continues to lead many to accept the Calvinistic doctrine of irresistible grace, the teaching that God chooses whom he will save and we have no power one way or the other.

I can see how one could draw that conclusion from this verse, but this verse is not the only word on the subject.  There are other verses here and elsewhere that must be taken into account and when they are, I don't think the doctrine is supported.

To begin with, who else would draw us to Jesus?  Would Satan ever be in the business of drawing people to Christ?  No, it would only be God.  Secondly, who would God draw, those who steadfastly refuse to come?  No, as a matter of fact, John elsewhere writes, "He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God" (1:11-12).

And who is it that God wants drawn to Jesus, only the Jews, only a few hand-selected?  No, for here in John's passage that says God draws, it also says who he wants to draw: "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day" (v. 40).  Peter echoes this truth in saying that God is "not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Pet 3:10).

Who is it then that God draws and why is not everyone drawn since God wants everyone to come?  The who that God is calling to is not based on a private selection but on a personal decision.  Listen to the Word: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Mt 11:28).  Did you catch the inclusive "all"?  A choice to decide is offered and accepted, "come and I will."

God's call goes out into all the world,  "He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation" (Mk 16:15).  However, many can't hear it over the noise of their own lives.  Many feel a deep need but seek to fill it with money, power, drugs, whatever.

But, those who look up from themselves and the world around them and begin to listen for His voice, those people, whoever they are, can find Him.  "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart" (Jer 29:13).  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment