Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Giving Thanks in Troubled Times

Decades ago, I read the story of a church leader who had been robbed of his money bag.  When asked by a friend how he felt about the incident, he replied, "Thankful."  Puzzled by the answer, his friend asked further, "Why thankful?"  His reply was something like this: "I am thankful first that he did not take my life.  I am thankful also that I had something to steal.  And finally, I am thankful that I am not a thief."

The church leader, whose name I cannot recall at the moment and time prevents me from researching, was not some kind of Pollyanna thinker with his head in the sky.  This man was empowered with the faith and trust in God, which the apostle Paul holds out for us all: "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thess 5:16-18).

As a child of God, the victory over sin and death, and whatever this world can throw at us, is already won in Christ.  The world cannot truly overcome us for our Lord has taken away its power to do so: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (Jn 16:33).''

The world can give us it's best shot, take away everything that we hold dear in this life, but it cannot gain the victory over us as long as we hold on to our faith in Christ.  When the world tells us we have been beaten, that we have lost everything, the Word of God counters, "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us" (Rom 8:37).

The evil forces of this world can only take away what the world affords us.  It can take away our money, our health and even our life, but it cannot take away our heavenly treasures, "where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal" (Matt 6:20).

We're just passing through here.  When we leave this life, we will take nothing with us beyond our memories and our relationships in Christ.  Everything that ha lasting value is. Not subject to the world's power.  So, regardless of what you lose, you are still a winner in Christ.  So, even in troubled times, give thanks for God is good.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment