Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Looking Right in the Wrong Place

If you're like me, you gone somewhere to get something, knowing it had to be there.  When you looked, you couldn't find it, but you were certain that was where it had to be.  You keep turning over things and mumbling to yourself, "I know it has to be here!"  However, search as you may, you cannot find it.

We when get in that spot, it is nearly impossible to imagine it being anywhere else.  You just know it is right there, hiding in plain view.  It has to be there, this is the place I know it to be, only it isn't there.  But it can't be somewhere else, can it?  Of course it can.  I've come to realize over the years that if something isn't where it's supposed to be, it is almost certainly where it is not supposed to be.

That helps a lot huh?  Actually, yes it does, if we are open to the thought that what I'm looking for is actually not where it is supposed to be, then we can begin to imagine it being somewhere else and begin searching in other places instead of going back to where it must be.

We do this in any number of ways.  Sometimes we keep hitting the same keys on our computer trying to get it to open up to something that isn't there, but has to be there.  Just this morning, as I began to write this blog, I was trying to open up drdavidkenser.blogspot.com on my iPhone but kept ending up in a view only mode.  I kept going back looking right in the wrong place because I know I open it every day in the same way, but not today.

Why?  Because, I open it every day in my iPad, not my iPhone.  For whatever reason, they are not set up the same.  I could not acces this site from that portal using the same key strokes.  As I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to write my blog, it came to me "not from here."  It dawned on me that I needed to be on my iPad and when I came here, Bingo!  I got straight in.

I said all this to remind us that when we are frantically looking for something in one place, whether it is our keys, our blog, our friends, our future, our hope, but it isn't there, we need to accept the fact that it must be somewhere else and be open to looking elsewhere.

When we look for fulfillment in the market place it isn't there.  When we look for peace in the bottom of an alcohol bottle it isn't there.  When we look for happiness coming from someone else it isn't there.  We humans so often keep looking for love, acceptance and hope in all the wrong places.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a directory - a Source to help us find where to fulfill all our needs?  Wouldn't that be fantastic?  Actually, it would be divine: "And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus: (Phil 4:19).

God is the Source of everything we truly need, everything of real value: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (Js 1:17).  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment