Sunday, March 9, 2014

Together

It is early Sunday morning. I've bee awake for a while, worshipping God in prayer and study of His Word. After I finish this writing, I will head to the shower and start getting ready to go an early prayer time with my son-in-law to be followed by worship at the church where he preaches here in Texas. 

But why?  Why am I going to worship as I have already been worshipping this morning - why do I have to go again?  Was my private worship not real worship?  Will the corporate worship be more pleasing to God?

To begin with, it has nothing to do with having to go, it is a choice I make because I have the freedom to go. And, worship is not the primary reason for gatherng with other Christians. It is something we will do but as I've said, I've already been worshipping God, alone, just as Jesus often did, setting an example for us. So, why the collective worship time?

Let me share a passage that adds light to the subject: "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another —and all the more as you see the Day approaching" (Heb 10:24-25).

Did you see the reason for the corporate gathering?  It was not primarily for worship, it was encouragement - to spur one another on.  While we can, and I believe should, worship God privately, we need to come together in worship so that we can encourage each other in word and song and fellowship. I can worship God alone but I cannot encourage or be encouraged when I keep to myself.

Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment