Friday, March 21, 2014

Walking By Faith

Generally speaking, we don't like not knowing what the plan is before we undertake something. If someone wants us to go with them, we want to know to where and for what purpose. If asked to do something, we want to know to what end and what will be required of us. We, like the Boy Scouts, want to be prepared before we act. It just seems sensible. 

Our Lord, however, often does not give us all the details or share the final outcomes or destinations when he bids us to do his will. Do you recall what he said to Abraham when he called him out of Ur?  "Go from your country, your people and your father's land to a land I will show you" (Gen 12:1).  And when Jesus disciples asked what they were to do about the Passover preparations, he replied, "“Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him..." (Mark 14:13).  He didn't give them an address or reveal what would be available when they got there specifically. 

When I felt called into ministry. I knew I had to leave the military and believed I should go to Harding University for preparation, but I didn't know how I would be able to provide for my family while there or where I might go afterwards, only that I was to go. I had no idea, only that God said "go."

Following God is not about having it all detailed, financed and exit plan in place. Following God is about having an ear to hear the Lord and a heart to obey. You may not be sure why you feel so strongly about talking to a street person, but if God is laying it on your heart, just say hello and see what comes next. Leaving your career to start a mission in a third-world country and not knowing how you will live sounds crazy, but many crazy missionaries are out there 

Walking by faith is precisely that - faith in what God will do rather than by seeing what we can manage. Scary good stuff. Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment