Saturday, October 25, 2014

Eyes to Hear?

The prophet Habakkuk cried out to the Lord, "How long, O Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? (1:2).  God's response was not to give him an audible answer but to direct him to "Look at the nations and watch - and be utterly amazed" (v. 5).  The Lord was telling Habakkuk to listen with his eyes.

We would like to hear a word from the Lord.  We would like God to tell us directly and specifically what he is doing and what we are to do.  But God doesn't necessarily choose to speak in a still small voice.  Certainly we can hear God in our quiet times as we study his Word and draw near in prayer.  But the answer we seek may be revealed in His activity around us.

As humans, we tend to take note of the mess we are in and cry out, like the prophet, "How long or why me or what gives?"  Possibly God will speak directly to your heart or in a dream or even in a voice as clear someone next to you.  But so often, God speaks in his activity.  Instead of gazing so intently at the mess, perhaps we should look longinly for the Master.  Rather than ask "How long or why me?" perhaps we can look for God's hand in things and try to discern what he is doing and how we should be responding.

For instance, instead of lamenting "Why did my job get cut?" why not look for the opportunity God is now affording you?  Very possibly God is freeing you from one place to allow you to go to another that will open up new vistas for you.  I have been fired once in my lifetime.  I didn't know what I was going to do but God did.  He opened doors for me that brought me to the place I am now and provided for me in a way that wasn't possible before.  Looking back, I can see clearly how God was walking with me and supporting me, even carrying me at times.

I would still love to hear God speak audibly.  I must say that I am a bit jealous of those who say, "God spoke to me and..."  It is not that I have never heard God speak but for me it has always been an impression more than a voice.  More often, it has been in what I see around me.  God has, for the most part, chosen to give me "eyes to hear" rather than ears to hear his word for me.  Perhaps that will be how he choses to reveal his will to you as well.  Jus' Sayn.

No comments:

Post a Comment